Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hello World!

Brad and I would like to formally introduce to you our daughter! On Thursday, Jan. 21, 2010 we welcomed Caroline Amelia to our lives. And, she didn't let anyone else call the shots on her birthday either; she came into the world with plenty of 'drama'.
I had been scheduled for an induction on Thursday after seeing the doctor on Wednesday afternoon. I woke up around 1:30am with some cramping and not feeling well but just chalked it up to nerves and the dr. doing the internal exam that afternoon. I got up and moved to the living room to read/watch tv/anything. About 2:30ish I started to feel worse with the cramps and thougth I had to go to the bathroom so I headed to our room. As I was walking into the room to go the bathroom I felt 'something' and went to check it out. I didn't think it could possibly be my water but knew something wasn't right. So I called to Brad in the bed and he walked in and after I told him what had been happening and he looked at what had happened he matter of factly told me we were leaving for the hospital. After all my false alarms and with the induction just a few hours away I wasn't quite sure we should. But, in the meantime what I thougth were cramps began to worsen and the 'something' that happened earlier happened again. I asked Brad (who was quickly getting dressed) to go wake up my mom who was to go with us to the induction so she spent the night. She walked in, saw me in pain and what was going on and firmly announced that my water had broken and we needed to leave. While I was trying to get ready and get to the car I was in more pain and began yelling for everyone to hurry up :) It was the longest car ride I ever took but it was actually the quickest we had done yet....maybe it was because I began telling Brad not to stop for red lights:) I was checked in and hooked up and they started bloodwork and IV's and antibiotics (I was GroupB positive) so I could have my epidural as soon as possible. I decided on the car ride in that I needed it sooner rather than later...so much for "I'll just see how things go and if I can do it on my own". I did progress and efface completely but I stopped dilating after about 7 or 8 hours and the baby was not dropping down anymore. The Dr. told me we would wait two more hours to see if the baby dropped anymore and if not we would have to look at alternative methods. Or in other words a C-section. I didn't like it at that point but kept positive with my labor. I need a second boost to my epidural but I worked through it all and after two hours the dr. talked to me again since I hadn't changed :( I didn't want to but knew that the safest thing now would be to have the C-section and get the baby out. I was scheduled for a half hour from then which was 3:00 and the prep work began. I was so nervous and scared going into the OR but I had a great team with me and my nurse anesthetist was AMAZING. At first they thought they may need to put me under completely since I could still feel their pokes everytime they numbed me but thankfully once they did the test incision and I was fine they allowed Brad to come in and join me. After about a half hour and lots of pressure, pushing and cutting I heard the wonderful words of "It's a GIRL!!" I was so happy and began to sob right then and there. She swallowed some meconium through it all (which is why I didn't think my water looked like it should when it broke) so she didn't cry at first but that lasted only about 30 seconds and I began to cry even more. Brad moved to be with her and began taking pictures and talking to her. I could see them if I turned my head and my heart was so full and happy. They let me kiss and talk to her before giving her to Brad and it was the best moment ever. Just seeing Brad hold her after that was so amazing. I was stitched up and told I did wonderfully and followed my daughter to recovery while my husband went to the waiting room to announce our news. I finally got to hold her and feed her in recovery and it was heaven. We spent three days in the hospital and are now at home learning how to work as our new family. We are loving it even though it is tough work and we sleep very little at night. She saw the nurse from the pediatricians office today and is doing well. She has lost a bunch of weight but noone is terribly worried about it yet and we are getting better at nursing so we hope she starts gaining soon. She is a bit jaundice but we went for tests today and are positive they will turn out fine. We want to thank everyone for the thoughts and prayers and congratulations-they mean the world to us. We are always up for visitors so please give us a call sometime and maybe we can find a good time for everyone. Stay tuned for more news as Caroline hits all her milestones!

Caroline Amelia Borek
January 21, 2010 3:29pm
9lbs 4oz 21.5 inches long with a 14 inch head!!




No comments:

Post a Comment