Monday, January 4, 2010

The waiting game

Well, here we are. I wake up everyday and feel like a walking timebomb; wondering if something-anything will happen today. And, it doesn't help that everyone and their brother is asking how I am feeling, or what's going on or if there is a baby. We have had some excitement lately though. We thought we were getting a belated Christmas gift. Brad and I were spending two nights at my parents house for Christmas Eve and Christmas day and he suggested bringing all of our hospital stuff with us. Fine, whatever-but I didn't see the need. Well, we had the need. About 9pm on Christmas day I started having contractions. For the first hour they were irregular but by 10:15 they were pretty regular. Brad and my mom sat up with me and got me water, took turns rubbing my feet and ankles and got me walking a bit while also timing contractions. By 12:30 we decided to head to the hospital since they had been at 6 minutes apart for over an hour and were painful. By the time we got to the hospital they were 4 minutes apart and I was hooked to machines. Mom and Brad kept helping with my breathing and relaxing me. I was checked and of course only about 1 cm so we knew we had a while. They wanted me to stay for a while longer and before long we had moved to 2 minutes apart and kept that up for about 2 or 3 hours. However, they weren't lasting long enough-only 30-45 seconds long (felt longer to me). After checking me again with no progress the nurse said to go home and labor there where I could be more comfortable. She was positive I would have the baby that day and expected me back at the hospital later once the contractions were longer. So, we went back to my parents house and were able to sleep for about two hours and when I woke up I still was having the contractions. Everyone was so helpful with timing and relaxing me and taking care of me. By mid afternoon unfortunately they were slowing and I would go for as long as an hour wihtout having any, but of course they would then pick back up. By midnight they were done :(and I was still pregnant. The next morning we went back in after church because I was feeling awful and sick and the baby had very little movement. The baby of course was fine but while in the hospital and I was hooked up again and they were ready to send me home, they noticed I had been having contractions again! So, we stayed for another hour or so and when I was checked again-after doing this for over a day I had not progressed at all! But, I was still contracting-no fun. Thus began our trying out every old wives tale there is. I began eating lots of spicy food, consumed tons of pineapple and pineapple juice, we walked the mall THREE times and even my parents neighborhood in frigid temps, I bounce on my exercise ball, do different stretch positions, we're rubbing my back and feet in the right spots and yes we have done that other thing that is supposed to help :) Even that blue moon thing on New Year's didn't make a difference! I went and saw the doctor on Wednesday (after having contractions on and off ever since that Christmas night) and he was pleased with everything-and by then I had made a tiny bit of progress. He said it all sounded good and meant baby was trying to make it here soon. I was hopeful! He doesn't think he will see me in the office this week (2days to go) and if I do he will begin to take steps to try and get my labor going before we have to move to an induction next week. I am looking forward to this! I am so tired, uncomfortable and sore at this point and just want my baby and some relief! Brad was supposed to be out of town last week but on the 26th after we left the hospital he made the decision to not leave me now and his bosses were very understanding and are still being great about our stubborn child stuck in there. Please know that between Brad, our families and the internet we WILL let the world know when this little stinker decides to make an appearance. If you haven't heard from one of us then no, there is no baby yet! Please pray for me and if you might pray to my new best friend, the Blessed Mother. I think I talk to her most these days! In the meantime-we still wait! Hope 2010 is going as good for you as it has for us so far! Please send lots of labor dust and healthy baby wishes our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment